Monday, March 24, 2008

Thousand Dollar Bike, Hundred Dollar Lock, Ten Dollar Bike Rack

Today I made that horrendous drive across town to school, and after not having driven it for over two weeks due to spring break (and the week before that I thought was spring break) made it all the more apparent how much I dislike driving in Las Vegas

Thankfully I spent the whole afternoon at home, organizing, cleaning, and doing what makes me feel good. It's my goal to make my home finally feel like a home, and the sooner the better. The weather will be getting hot soon enough, and I know I won't be able to accomplish much as far as renovation/organization goes once that time comes.

I was able to do a moderate ride on my Marin trail bike, that I have now clocked over 200 miles with, and still have yet to name. She has a personality that suits me more than I am willing to fully accept. I love her quirkiness, and it has been further personified by the various mods I have done. I find a certain comfort in the sense of trying to tame the wild things around me, even though it's feat I have yet to accomplish.

Also, some new anti-theft measures have finally been put into place. They may not be very efficient, but my new security detail is comprised of a Kryptonite Evolution Mini and New York Noose. Both locks are very compact which has advantages and disadvantages. The chain weighs in at around 3 lbs and the U-Lock is at least 2 lbs, adding a slightly noticeable weight whenever lifting the bike with them attached. It may seem like a bit much, but the big daddy mother-of-all chains, weighs in at over 8lbs and looks more like a weapon than a retention device.

The big downside of securing a bike in Las Vegas is the obvious issue that few people ride bikes, so very few places have the proper facilities to secure a bike. When I go to starbucks, I love up to a 60lb umbrella and a table, at blockbuster I lock up to a 10+ ft tall handicapped parking sign. Now because of that, it is hard to get the entirety of what I need to lock, including the pole/sign/table and my rear tire to all fit in that U-Lock.

This whole predicament has made me think of a few things. First, why isn't there a legal requirement for bike racks that are somewhere along the lines of handicapped spot requirements. I doubt the ADA would back such a movement, but there has to be someone thinking about this. The state obviously is becoming more and more interested in alternate forms of transportation and is trying (at least slightly) to improve upon the infrastructure to support this. I think I should probably write my Congressman, because something should be done about this.

Today's stats:
Distance: 4.62 miles
Average speed: 15.9 mph
Max speed: 32 mph
Overall time: 17:26

Temperature: 68˚
Time: 5:30PM

No comments: