Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Tool or Toy?

Today I was thinking about how I have seen on many bicycle-related blogs they talk about how store bought (target, walmart, costco, etc.) bikes aren't very good quality because they are sold as toys for 12 year olds.

That made me assess what the bike is to me. I have ridden on and off for many years, but gotten more serious in the past 2 1/2 years. Still, my bicycle was still more of a recreational device for me. Even up until the recent future, I have viewed my bike as a replacement for the gym.

With that in mind, I have reappropriated my bike usage into two different categories. I ride to commute to work, so as to avoid using my truck, and that means that every mile I commute by bike is a mile that I am taking off of my truck.

I also ride, in a different manner, to exercise. Las Vegas weather is terrible for a fair chunk of the year, but during March/April, the weather can be gorgeous, and I want to take advantage of that to the best of my abilities. So I can either hop on and ride around, and enjoy it, or drive 2 miles to a gym where I would have to pay $25+ a month to be able to watch tv while doing the same thing. I'm sorry, what is the upside to that? Go outside, watch a sunset, look at the sky, breath in the fresh air while this planet still has some.

I neglect to list the time of day because the three times that I rode were during normal work commute hours, as many others do, to and from work and out to lunch.

Today's stats:
Distance: 4.37 miles
Average speed: 13.1 mph
Max speed: 22.5 mph
Overall time: 19:47

I'm not sure if my stats are going up or down, but I do know that if I rid myself of a car for one month, I will have saved enough money to buy a few new components.

No comments: